Sunday, January 2, 2011

Welcome!

My name is Shauna and I'm a single, part-time working mom to two kiddos, Adrian and Charlie. You can meet them in my other blog here. I love making little toys and treasures for the kids. I've been doing it since Adrian's second Christmas. I didn't used to be crafty. My mom taught me to cross-stitch when I was 5 but that's all I really knew how to do. When Adrian was a baby, I took a leap and made a no-sew fleece blanket for one of my nephews. I got the sewing bug when I realized I could sew Adrian's cloth diapers myself and save a bundle of money. One pocket diaper then went for about $15 or so. I could sew one for $3! So I learned. The very first pocket diaper I made was used for well over 3 years (through Adrian, and then Charlie). I finally put it up when the velcro got too fuzzy.

So with the skills to sew, I made a few simple things for Adrian's second Christmas. The next year, Charlie was born and stayed in the NICU for almost 2 months. I didn't have time to make a whole lot, but they each got a blanket and pj pants. The next year, I left their dad....I went out on my own with virtually nothing. My mom gave me furniture and I settled into my own apartment. That year, considering I had very, very little money to spare for Christmas, I became quite resourceful and for $25 I purchased a little tree and some ornaments, a few toy-making supplies and in the end, they had a load of presents under the tree. It was a very defining moment in my life. I COULD provide for my children, even in the tougher situations. This year, even though I had more money to play with I still made a few little treasures. It's just such a special thing, to be able to make something out of (almost) nothing and share it with your children.

Many people ask me when I'll start selling on Etsy. While I'd LOVE to, I just don't have the time. But I thought maybe I could share with others all the fantastic ideas I come across or make up on my own. So this blog will be a combo of all those things. Some things I'll have tried out and have pictures to share. Others I'll just have links to, maybe because I've not had time to try all of it out, or it's not an appropriate toy for my children at that point. Most of all, I'd like to help out other parents who have been in the same situation as me. Every year I come across a handful of posts on Facebook or a message board people who are just FLAT BROKE. I always make a list of things they could try so they can have a good Christmas. Wouldn't it be nice to just link them to my blog? I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment