Monday, January 3, 2011

Felt food, post 2

For basic instructions, Felt Food, post 1.

Felt pizza slices look difficult but are really not. You'll need a machine to do them, but that makes them come together more quickly! I used the 2 part tutorial here and here. I changed it a little to suit my tastes. I did not use foam in the middle, but poly-fill and I added a strip of red "sauce" between the crust and the cheese.


Sugar cookies are amazingly easy. Pick a few cookie cutters your child would particularly like, and trace the shape onto beige felt. Cut out the shapes, 2 for each cookie. If you are afraid of leaving marks, you can use washable markers. A quick rinse under cold water and it comes right out! Stitch the pieces together, stuffing with poly-fill as you progress.


Bread is a little time-consuming, but totally worth it. I'm sure you can machine stitch these, but I chose to do them by hand. First I cut 4 squares from beige fabric and rounded off the corners a little. Then I cut long brown strips of felt about 3/4" wide. I sewed them together so their perimeter equaled the perimeter of the beige pieces. Stitch the crust to the bread, all the way around. When you are about 3/4 of the way done with the second side of the bread, start stuffing it with poly-fill. You don't want this to be as firm as some of the other pieces of food. Once they have enough stuffing, finish them up.


Quite possibly the easiest felt food I've ever made...PB and J! Just cut some bread-sized pieces from the appropriate colors. The red "jam" can also double as sauce for your bow-tie noodles.


Your bread should have more than just PB and J though. Meat (or mock meat if you are a vegetarian), swiss cheese, lettuce, and tomato are all great toppings. All of these are made with 2 pieces of felt stitched together. The meat is the easiest. Trace something round, cut it out and stitch it together. For swiss cheese, I made a square, then just randomly cut holes. Stitch in and around each hole. The tomato is just two circles, but in order to tell what it is, you should pick a contrasting color and stitch the "wedges". Free-hand the lettuce. To make it more realistic, you can add "veins" with similarly colored floss.

No comments:

Post a Comment