Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Felt food, post 3

Felt food posts 1 and 2.

For mashed potatoes and gravy, cut 2 oval shapes from beige felt and machine stitch completely around the perimeter. Then cut a small slit in one side, turn the potatoes right side out, stuff with filling, and hand-stitch the hole closed, much like you do with the pizza from post 2. Then free-hand some gravy from light brown felt and hand-stitch it to the potatoes, covering the closed hole.

For strawberries, I used a tutorial like this one. The only difference is, I used a half circle, rather than one that extends a bit. It was easier to trace a large circle, then cut it out and cut it in half. I used french knots for the seeds.

I can't seem to find the tutorial I used for the popsicle, but it's pretty easy. You make two popsicle shapes, machine stitch all around, all but the straight edge at the bottom. Turn right side out, then stitch across bottom with the stick in place (stitch right through the stick!). You can turn the edges in for a cleaner look. The tutorial I used had a "creamsicle" made with orange felt and little white peeking through at the bottom. It was too cute!

Eggs are crazy easy. Just draw your egg shape and a small circle for the yolk. Cut them out onto white and yellow felt (cut 2 white pieces). Stitch the yolk to one white piece and stuff a tiny bit of filling in right before you finish so it puffs up a bit. Then stitch the white pieces together, stuffing with filling right before you finish stitching.

For "California mix" veggies, make a small clover-shaped pattern for the broccoli and cauliflower and cut 6 pieces each from green and white, then cut 6 small circles for the carrots. Stitch 2 pieces together for each carrot. When you do the broccoli and cauliflower stitch two pieces together, then stuff them just a tiny bit before finishing.

2 comments:

  1. Shauna, I love your new blog!! I love crafting. Sewing and quilting and knitting and cross stitch! Alison (Andrew's mom from p2p)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great stuff!!!! I have some patterns for felt food that I am working on for my girls. They are into cooking and serving and pretend play with food. I love what you have here though, these are not in my patterns!

    ReplyDelete